Businesses are increasingly opening up and showing their human side, and social media is a direct way to do that using a casual and relaxed tone. Engagement is the main goal when getting involved with social media websites and apps, conversations around products and services are what businesses want to happen so they can attract new attention for what they are selling. Direct selling isn’t recommended for social media marketing, but with strong engagement can eventually lead to interest in what businesses have to offer.
The importance of social media engagement is huge for many reasons, and below we outline 10 different ways for how to increase it to build awareness and fuel business growth.
10 Ways to Improve your Social Media
2. Use hashtags to your advantage – These are important to use to make posts more targeted, and be sure to look for “trending topics” on Twitter daily for example, to see which hashtags are popular at any given time so you can jump into conversations that are sizzling with engagement.
3. Run giveaways and contests – You don’t need to be super generous like Oprah or Ellen with giveaways, but if your online store sells shirts for instance, you might want to create a micro contest using a post with something like “Why does volunteering make you feel good inside?” and whoever has the most liked response wins a shirt with a big heart on it.
4. Use images and gifs – We are visual creatures, and using images and gifs in your posts catches people’s attention better, and makes them more likely to emotionally engage.
5. Ask interesting questions – Spark people’s curiosity by posting questions that they can’t resist to answer. A question such as “What was your most embarrassing experience while at the gym?!” with a red-faced emoji might produce some funny answers, and really spark a fascinating conversation.
7. Reply to all questions and comments – If someone takes time out of their day to engage with your social media account, then you can make time to respond to them. Nobody likes to be ignored, and quite honestly it’s rude, so be sure to engage with each and every person that engages with you.
8.Tighten up the beginning of your post – The first few words of your post are the most critical, so ensure that you edit and re-edit if necessary so that your followers and fans will read your whole post, and then will be more likely to engage.
10. Post remarkable content – Pieces of content that you post whether in the form of text, images, or videos, need to be worth remarking on. Experiment with all sorts of topics including relevant news items that are different or impactful, charity events, and essentially anything that you think will spark a conversation. See what your followers and fans respond to the most, and post more content that’s similar to maximize your social capital, and follower and fan engagement.
A Toronto SEO Expert, Google Certified, hack-a-thon winner, and avid reader of books, blogs, and forums, Johnny is the quintessential, self-taught online marketing expert who is on top of industry trends. His experience has led him to work directly with hundreds of organizations ranging from small businesses to North America’s leading medical companies, helping them uncover optimization issues, prevent Google penalties as well as negative user and visitor experiences.